Friday, October 2, 2009

Am I a Sponge?

There are times in my week that I have opportunity to sit for extended amounts of time, in His presence. Yes, I'm ALWAYS in His presence, but I mean like really SOAK in His presence. Face down, or at the altar in a quiet sanctuary alone, or on my bedroom floor on my knees, or in my car in a parking lot. There are these times... so sweet, so deep, when one hand of Jesus wraps around me while the other reaches in deep, down into the pit of my heart and the depths of my soul, pulling out things He wants handed over to Him. Things I'm still holding on to after many painful days, or months, or some things even years.

I realize when I am in these moments that this is a time for me to "sponge-ify" myself. (Like the new word?) I see myself as a sponge, grungy and dry, with an occasional hole or two in the covering of my heart. And I see Jesus as pure, clear, cold water. Not dirty water or used, but that pure water that you get when you pour a fresh cup from the Brita pitcher! It's so refreshing, and you feel it travelling all the way down, from the entrance of your mouth to the bottom of your stomach. This is what Jesus is to me in these moments. I am a sponge, soaking in fresh water, fresh Word, fresh wisdom.

The fiery cry of my heart today is that I might ALWAYS be a sponge. I will learn how to sponge-ify =) myself, in every moment, every single day. Knowing when He is speaking fresh knowledge, knowing when He is pouring His fresh, pure spirit... and having the ability to soak it up 'til I'm dripping with it! Every day, soaking in the presence of my sweet, holy Jesus.

Father, pour Yourself out and into my life today. I receive, I soak it up. I want more of Your spirit, more of Your passion, more of the fire that is in Your heart to consume mine.

No comments: